Friday, February 17, 2012

Living by the (Date)book


It’s a potential tragedy: I’ve lost my datebook.

I strive to keep my life simple. But even though I’m unemployed, I’ve still managed to book (and sometimes overbook) my time. I’ve got classes and homework, now that I’m a student again. I have job searching and networking activities. I have miscellaneous obligations, like doctor’s appointments, activities with friends and family, and the occasional theater ticket.

In short, I have a regulated, scheduled life. I have to keep track of it.

Add to this that I am an ardent list maker and planner. I write down everything I need to do, and set deadlines for myself by adding items to my calendar. And I write things down because there is so much to keep track of, that if I didn’t schedule it, I’d forget it.

Now, with the loss of my datebook, I don’t know what to do or when. Am I supposed to have tea at the White House on Monday? Am I supposed to pay the utilities bill by the 29th? Was I planning to have a novel written by Wednesday?

Luckily, the doctor’s office will likely call me with a reminder before my appointment (if I have one). But what about all those other plans and tasks, whatever they are? Will this development bring a huge dose of happy spontaneity into my life? Or will I just degenerate into a ball of anxiety?

I don’t know what to expect. Losing my datebook was not scheduled in my datebook.

2 comments:

  1. Solution: Google calendar. It's awesome - we keep track of our entire household on it. Won't get lost and you can print out your daily or weekly schedule if you still need the paper aspect. Even better if you have a phone that can access it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. True that, and I'm sure I'll get that same advice from plenty of other people. On the other hand, when it comes to lists and schedules, there's something about having it on paper that works well for me (or at least until now!). Besides, my poor unemployed person's budget can't handle the cost of a smart phone plus the monthly bills that come with it.

    ReplyDelete

Hey, folks, you know what's up. Please don't leave obscene, grossly off-topic or hate-inciting comments. I'm sure you'll be civil and play nice!